Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: OT: Record Racks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Record Racks

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mac View Post
    This rack can be built from between 100-200 dollars depending on aesthetic need.
    Slick!

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  2. #2
    HB Super Moderator
    OT: Record Racks


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,261
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Record Racks

    Nice Job Steve ! They look really nice! One other thing I like to do WRT vinyl LP's is to keep them in boxes.Plastic corrugated Boxes,no matter how clean ones home is vinyl is loaded with static.And therefore becomes a dust magnet ....

    http://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-277-storage-boxes.aspx

    I have since bought these boxes and I am quite pleased with them keeping the LP's cleaner and dust free as we all know how hard it is to listen to a crackling,popping,record.I also use the original Discwasher poly/rice-paper sleeves V.R.P. Valuable-Record-Protector

    LP sleaves

    Thanks Steve for some ideas ! :2thumbsup:

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Record Racks

    Thanks guys.
    The shelves I'm pretty sure are rated for 250 lbs. but we'll see if some dividers are needed to prevent bowing. Gonna try it first without em...lazy guy I am.
    The goal was to do it as cheaply as possible with the minimum amount of work.
    ...but did not want something that looked like it fell off the back of a truck...though I hear that's the latest fashion.

    The records I'm putting here are pretty cool...they were my Dad's collection and he acquired a nice amount of interesting LPs around the late 50s/early 60s time frame which is just an awesome period of music...I'll probably take some pics to share soon. Cool!

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Record Racks

    A neat furniture-piece solution, Steve.:2thumbsup: If you put a back on it you will keep dust out of the albums.

    Good equipment rack, also.

    Aussies, this frame(or similar) is available at Officeworks in 2 widths for this depth and height.


    My effort is not as elegant. A flat-pack ledger file "bookcase" from Officeworks-often on sale at a very much reduced price. Several heights available.

    I added a 1"x3/4" pine strip to each panel to increase the carcase and shelf depth. Dividers are necessary for shelf support but not as many as I fitted.

    Cheers, Marshall.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Schell's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2003
    Posts
    414
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Record Racks

    For LP storage I currently use a combination of surplus steel shelves and 2 by 4 vertical supports held together with 1/4" machine hardware, bolted to a bedroom wall and providing room for about thirty six feet of LPs. This has worked out fine, although I currently own way too many records to enjoy them all properly, and I find that viewing the spines only is a bit inconvenient.

    I remember fondly the record storage units I built in the late 1970s. Armed with particle board, a Skill saw and spray paint I was dangerous! Two cabinets functioned as bookshelf speaker stands with record storage underneath, and another served as a stand for my 19" TV also with record storage underneath. The records were arranged as in a record store, i.e. you thumbed through them with the jacket fronts facing you. Funny, I think I enjoyed the relatively few LPs I had back then more than all the ones I have now. It seems to get harder and harder to "buy a thrill" as one gets older.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Record Racks

    Well...the job is done...the shelves are plenty strong!
    http://www.superbadcat.com/images/recordrack4.jpg
    http://www.superbadcat.com/images/recordrack5.jpg
    The bad news is...now I need another rack for my old records.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28236960 times.